Inequitable
Even before I have read these sources, I knew schools to not be equitable. We know time after time that schools are not equal. Growing up I myself have seen this time after time. Attributes to political affiliation, gender, race, financial status. These issues early set how schools are not equitable. Starting off schools in higher income neighborhoods have better education systems. This allows schools to hire more tutoring and be able to pay teachers more that can make the requirements to get hired harder. This can be see any and everywhere. One spot I am familiar with is the Dallas Texas area. Schools like Highland Park versus schools such as Boles offer two very contrasting Highland Park being a very high income area which allows students to be able to prepare for success after high school earlier on. I personally am from a very, very small town however, we had multiple high schools. I went to a high school that had a great education system however, our team rivals education system was not as sufficient. Another account of inequitable is gender. One issue we see very commonly is the attention to sports in high school and younger grades. Male sports receiving more attention and benefits throughout the seasons than female sports. In my own personal high school I remember our campus spending millions on a new football field but could not provide the women's sports with new uniforms. While the current uniforms the women had were not terrible, they were simply out of style and could easily have been replaced if needed however, their request was denied.
I totally agree with your post! I have also seen inequality when it comes to different genders in schooling and sports. I think this is something that is very interesting to think about, especially since the passing of Title IX in 1972. Title IX was supposed to fix gender-based discrimination in schooling and sports, and yet we can still see it often. Do you think that it is time for an update to Title IX, or do you think that it can be left up to the hands of individual schools and districts? One thing you seem to be going towards but not fully realized is when 2 (or more) identities intersect and create unique situations. A student with disabilities going to a more well-funded school will still face inequality but it will be fundamentally different than a student with disabilities who goes to school with less funding. Thanks again for your post!
ReplyDeleteYes I could not remember the name of it but it is the title IX! Also awesome observation stating how students who are disabled will still face discrimination.
DeleteHi Erika, I love how you brought up the economic differences when it comes to inequities in school. For this weeks task I read an article about how Black male students who were given access to programs that give them extra help in school actually reduced the drop out rates in their school. I agree that schools with higher incomes are able to give their students better opportunities and are able to better prepare their students for college and the real world. It's truly sad how there might be students in lower income schools that will never get those opportunities. I like how you brought up the difference in male and female sports in school, it reminds me how in my school, they spent so much money renovating our football field while our band program had to raise money to afford renting transportation for their events. As educators we should really start planning on how to change these inequities.
ReplyDeleteYes my school was the exact same way, the funding for art programs were terrible while the male dominated sports always got new equipment.
DeleteYes it is incredibly unfair how taxing and systems on school funding works.
ReplyDelete