As a Mexican American myself, it was fascinating to read about the experience other Hispanics experienced in school in the youtube videos. Being able to recognize the struggle and pain heard in the voice of those adults who not only experienced the racism but the Hispanics whose children experience the racism. While thankfully I can say I did not experience racism like this, I was and am still exposed to microaggression. For me, as an educator, it is so important to make sure that racism is never seen in my classroom to all lengths. I know that words hurt and they stick. I still remember the microaggression I heard when I was younger and for that to be from an experience I had years ago is very telling. These are traumas that I would not want any student or parent to experience. Seeing the video and hearing the parent's voice of being told that Spanish being the main language at home is the problem resonates with me because I primarily speak Spanish to my parents. For me, I am willing to lose my job if it means I am protecting and standing up for what is right not only for my students but for my own morals. For example, during the Black Lives Matter protest, I know of teachers who had gotten fired for publically supporting BLM. This is absurd to me that a teacher is not allowed to publically post their support for an organization that is doing good for the community and rights of people of color. Very sad to even hear that these types of organizations are seen as controversial and politicized. Why do we continue to politicize the rights of people of color and minorities?
Hi Erika! I enjoyed reading your blog post! I'm also a Mexican American, but I have faced racism and so has my family. My father, my sister, and myself were never taught Spanish, because my Nana didn't want us to struggle or be made fun of like she was when she was growing up. So as I got older, many of the white people at my school would call me "white-washed" or even say that I'm not truly Hispanic, and that honestly hurt. I love being Hispanic, and I love my culture. As a future educator, I want my students to know that I stand up for what's right. There will no racism in my classroom, hate will not be tolerated, and bashing students because of their beliefs will not be tolerated either. I want my classroom to be a safe place for my students and allow them to feel welcomed. We live in such a nasty and cruel world, so I want to show my students that there are still good people in this world. As whole, we have to do better for all minorities. The hate towards people of color needs to stop and I want to show my students that all skin colors are beautiful! Great post!
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way Raegan. I was also called white-washed because I hung out with a lot of white people. I love my culture and go to Mexico atleast twice a year to visit family and travel. I love that you stand up for what's right.
DeleteHi Erika! Love your post! As a Mexican American myself I can deeply relate to your post. I was very fortunate to grow up in a town with a 97% hispanic population so I never experienced any type of discrimination or racism. However, moving to San Marcos in 2018 humbled me GREATLY! You're right Erika, it hurts and it's something you never really forget and it's a feeling that's extremely difficult to shake off. However, my experiences push me to avoid recreating those experiences for anyone else, especially my students. I love how passionate you are about being an advocate and supporting your students, they will seriously never forget that. Students perform their very best when they feel understood and cared for. You're going to be amazing!
ReplyDeleteI love that we can both push past our struggles so that our students never have to experience the same things we experienced.
DeleteI absolutely hate that white "culture" is seeked upon in the United States and that speaking English at home is a bad thing.
ReplyDelete