How do we talk about issues that matter? 

In the modern world, a lot of compelling controversial issues are hard to talk about. As a future instructor we must be able to talk about the conversations in a politically correct and suitable for work manner. This is especially important today because we must normalize hard conversations. In my golden lines post I used the quote "...We humanize what is going on in the world and in ourselves only by speaking on it, and in the course of speaking of it we learn to be human". This particular golden line to me shows that we can normalize things and end stigmas as long as we are able to have conversations about issues and are able to come to a consensus on these issues. I plan on teaching middle school aged children which is a crucial time for development on your own opinons. In this I would bring up a conversation and allow my students to go through a discussion of their opinon on certain topics, while stating that everything they state must be respectful and have good background evidence to back their argument. This is going to be a hard but I believe if I tell my students that these type of topics should not change how you view other students in a bad way, everyone has a valid point to their own opinion due to being raised differently. Going back to the quote certain topics need to be discussed in order for the future adults to be able to understand certain subjects in a respectful manner. 

            

    

Comments

  1. Hey Erika! I completely agree, having hard conversations is hard but the more often we do it the easier it will be it will become more comfortable to do. I think its great that you are going to teach middle school and you are aware of how crucial that point of growing and learning is. What techniques will you use to make your classroom safe for sharing and monitoring topics that are controversially hard? I will also be teaching middle school but for mathematics so I do not expect to have tons of debate in my class. I have learned from working with kids that it can be hard to lead a conversation about a serious topic because kids do not want to have their opinion heard or have not formed one, I do not think you will have that problem it is just a scenario that I have been in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment